Friday, May 13, 2016

BIG TROUBLE!

Good Morning Friends,

I haven't been feeling well this week so I have been lazy in posting beaded products and posting to my blog. Yesterday I watched this movie about motorcycles and it brought back memories of when I decided to get my motorcycle license. Wow want an adventure!

A few years ago, I made the decision to go to class and get my motorcycle license. After all, I rode on the back for years with my husband controlling our motorcycle and it looked pretty easy. What was I thinking?

Calling around to get cost, locations of classes and if it was a beginners course, I made my decision and emphatically told them I knew absolutely nothing about motorcycles. They assured me that was okay and the instructors would walk me through the course. So I signed up.

When I walked into the class room, everyone introduced themselves, including the instructors, and told how much experience we had riding on motorcycles. Of course, my replay was, "I have only ridden on the back with husband in front and I have never been in control of a cycle myself."

That first day we watched a video that started out saying, "Learning to ride a motorcycle opens up a new world of independence and experiences." The video talked about what controls were on the right-hand side of the steering bar and the left-hand side. I was in TROUBLE! Even when I drive a car, I have trouble remembering which is my right hand from the left hand. I always have to say I write with this hand so that is my right. (Sorry Friends that have been in a car while I was driving.)

After watching the video, we had to drive our cars over to an abandoned airport lot where there was a garage and a fenced yard. Next problem was figuring out what size motorcycle I wanted to learn on. There was a garage filled with motorcycles! This was all overwhelming for me.

The instructor came over and asked, "What kind of cycle does your husband ride?"

"A Fatboy, I replied."

"That is too big of a cycle for you to learn on."

"What do you suggest?"

He led me over to the dirt bikes and assured me this would be fine for me.

We all had to push our chosen cycles outside, get on them, start them up from (what we learned on the video) and ride them over to the fenced yard that was just ahead of us. Yeah, right! My eyes must have bulged out of their sockets because the instructor came over and told me to get on, he got on the back with his hands over mine and showed me what to do. I couldn't believe the power of the engine once you start the motorcycle.

Now the real stuff starts. While straddling the turned off motorcycle and waiting for the instructor to give us instructions as to what to do next, I kept thinking I can do this. What does it take to ride in a circle?

The instructor started with a brief review of the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) strategies that were on the video. Then he shouts, "Drivers start your engines. Follow the outer rim on the tarmac and drive in a circle." I found the starter and turned on the engine with a big smile on my face but how do I get this cycle to move? This is where I learned I am not very coordinated. I had trouble working my feet and hands in coordination which is very important in riding a motorcycle.

As everyone else was passing me by, the instructor came over and asked what's the problem? I looked at him and asked what am I to do next? He said put it in gear and follow the others. I am in BIG TROUBLE.

By the end of the first day, I got the hang of turning the bike on and moving forward sort of. Thank goodness for the fence because one time I ran into the fence when I saw a classmate coming towards me. I guess I panicked and wasn't able to coordinate the brakes and gears together.

On the drive home, I kept encouraging myself that I can do this.

Day two was more intense. We had to ride our cycles through these orange cones that were all lined up and make a turn without going over the line. This was imperative to pass and get a license.

Practicing the cones, I knocked more over than stayed up. Once again, the instructor got on the back with me and showed me the feel and how to sway with out falling over.

On the third day, when I finally did all the cones by myself, I took my hands off the steering bar to cheer and ran over the instructor. He fell, I fell off the bike but everyone was okay. THIS IS AN HONEST TO GOODNESS STORY!!

Well, I got my license by the skin of my teeth and with the instructor telling me I need private lessons because I was not street ready.

I decided I like sitting on the back of our cycle with my husband in front and watching the birds!

Motto: Perseverance is the secret to a successful achievement.

Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog. If  you like what you have read, follow by adding your e-mail address in the box at the top right. I would enjoy hearing from you, please leave a comment below.

Click here www.thebeadedpathway.etsy.com to see my latest bundle of two necklaces and a pair of earrings. In case you missed my Bundle It! blog here is a picture of the items:



My jewelry is within your reach
On Etsy at The Beaded Pathway
Hoping to reach
Your doorway.

Have a great day,

Sue

Gallery: www.thebeadedpathway.etsy.com
Blog: www.onthebeadedpathwayjourney.blogspot.com
Instagram: www.instagram.com/thebeadedpathway
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/thebeadedpathway













No comments:

Post a Comment